Pages

Independence Day on the Bay

This is my belated Independence Day post, now that I've let about a week get away from me.  We had a beautiful day to work with here in San Diego: blue skies and low 80's temperatures.  I took the opportunity to wear a dress again that I love but have only worn a couple of times.  I picked this dress out a couple summers ago to wear to my dad's Change of Command, and I feel so drawn to the watercolour wave print every time I brush my hands over the smooth fabric in my closet.  I paired it with some DV flats that I bought last summer; they're almost a cross between smoking slippers and loafers, with a navy blue and white triangular sail print and brown leather trim.  The large cabochon necklace is a purchase from Ann Taylor (last year when I worked at LOFT I couldn't resist going next door to Ann Taylor to admire it.  I saw it first on a sales associate who had a complexion like smooth drinking chocolate and it was stunning!  I finally bought it after waiting for it to go on sale for a few weeks), and the globe watch pendant is a new piece that I found at Aloha Sunday, a quirky, earthy surf/lifestyle shop in North Park that my mom took me to.  I picked up the necklace right away and I've been wearing it almost every day since!  It feels a little bit whimsical, a little magical, and smart paired with anything. 


Photos by C.Mahoney
Dress: H&M (two years old), Necklace: Ann Taylor (from last summer), Globe Watch Pendant Necklace: Love Nail Tree (via Aloha Sunday), Shoes: DV Dolce Vita (from last summer), Clutch: Dooney and Bourke

This year, to celebrate the Fourth, we went to the Coronado parade. This is probably the first time in years that I've been to a parade, and for a while during high school, I never went to a parade except to march in it. So when my family suggested going I was a little hesitant- my memories of Fourth of July parades include a lot of sweat, discomfort, and exhaustion.  This year's Fourth was not only comfortably cool, but we had seats and a protective awning, and we were shuttled to and from the island by a pleasant boat ride!  I must admit that I watched many tired, sunburned highschoolers march past us with mixed pity and entertainment.  Life's pretty good out of high school, guys.

Out of college, I'm not so sure.  I'm still searching for the meaning of life a job here in San Diego, trying to stay true to myself and apply to those places I respect and support.  I'm excited to start working and meet new people, so I'm doing my best now to make that happen.  It's amazing to be close to my family again though, and just getting to watch the fireworks with them again this year meant a lot.  Hope everyone got to share that with someone this year!  


I've had this blog for about a year now, and I'm glad that I've stayed pretty consistent in my goal to keep track of personal growth, commit to writing (even just a little bit) frequently, and chronicle my interests and style evolution over the ups and downs of school, travel, and relationships.  Thanks to those of you who've been  interested enough to stick with me! 
Much love and luck to us all in the next year! 

1 comment: